New Year Cleaning and Decluttering For a Fresh Start
Regularly scheduled home-maintenance and cleaning can curb hazardous, pricey problems in the future like fires and mold growth. Since we are entering the new year, decluttering is a great way to improve the usability of your space—so you can freely undertake your big plans for the year.
More than a tidy environment
One of the easiest ways to declutter your mind is to declutter your home. If untidy environments are stressing you out, we suggest starting small. Pick up the general items around your most used spaces. Wash the dishes, fold the laundry, and make the beds. After the basics are cleaned, tackle the details.
Deep clean the kitchen:
- Check for expiration and toss old food and condiments
- Wipe out refrigerator drawers, cabinets, the microwave, and oven
- Get rid of cupboard items you don’t use
- Empty the junk drawer
Main area cleaning:
- Dust ceiling fan blades
- Wash baseboards and walls—especially if you have children!
- Vacuum underneath furniture
- Wash curtains and linens
- Rotate and flip mattress
- Turn all hangers backwards, then when you wear an item, replace the hanger normally—this indicates which items you wear. Toss or donate backwards hanging items after 1 year.
- Scrub the bathtub walls and don’t forget the shower head
- Use a drain snake tool or drain liquid to break up stuck hair and scum in sinks and shower
- For every gift received, get rid of one item
- Sell or donate decor you didn’t use this season
- Replace air filters every 3 months
- Check and replace smoke alarm batteries
If you need more in-depth mold, fire, or water damage cleaning, SERVPRO of South Orlando is Here To Help®. We understand not every clean up is quick, easy, or preventable. To inquire about our services, call us today at (407) 985-3200.